Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ike'd

So how do you sum up going through a hurricane in a few sentences? You don't! Long story short . . .  no major damage thank goodness. Let's just say it was REALLY LOUD when the hurricane hit Friday night, then really quiet when the power, water, phone and internet went out. We got power back Sunday night, water yesterday and the rest today and we are the VERY lucky ones!! I feel bad because the people across the street don't have power yet! This is our neighborhood the next day:


The kids kept busy playing games, reading and doing science experiments. They loved that they got to stay in their "jaminas" for a few days. 


Jon manning the grill. He was sad when the power came on not to get to use it anymore. Seriously. 

More scenes of our neck of the woods. Line wrapping around Donut World - the only place open Sunday. Lines for gas are still really long at the very few stations that have them.

The grocery stores and Post office. I can't wait for fresh produce!

My Top Ten  Favorites Today:
1. Running water!! Running Water!! RUNNING WATER!!
2. Hot water (see #1)
3. Toilets that flush (see #1). We used water we had filled the tub up with to flush.
4. Being able to shower and wash hands with soap and hot water instead of wipes!! (see #1 and #2)
5. Electricity. Don't know what you got till it's gone. 
6. Washing dishes in hot water AND a dishwasher (see #1,2 and 5).
8. AC although we haven't used it much yet. (see #5)
9. Food storage! Haven't used too much of it so far, but the peace of mind it brings is HUGE!
10. That we live on the West side. Less damage, utilities turned on from West to East. 

4 comments:

SweetmamaK said...

We evacuated today, no telling when power will be restored to the eastern region! I feel like a red-headed step-child!

Leah said...

This is crazy!!! I am so glad that you all made it through safe and sound.

La La Land said...

I'm so glad you guys survived the storm! I will never forget that horrible sound of the wind howling (I still have nightmares). We love you guys!

Michelle said...

glad to hear you are all alright! I was thinking of you guys the whole time.