Life with Jon is always an adventure. I consider myself a pretty adventurous person. . . ok, maybe when it comes to food . . . at least not picky . . . or at least as long as meat isn't involved. SO, Jon watched No Reservations the other night and Anthony Bourdane was in Egypt. This got him hankering for Ethiopian food. How one "hankers" for Ethiopian food is beyond my understanding, but Jon loves it. That is one cuisine that my taste buds have a hard time wrapping themselves around. I think because the "bread" they eat with it - Injera - has a tang to it that overpowers all the other food. Injera is precisely what Jon loves most about Ethiopian.
A few years ago we saw a documentary on taste. If you have a lot of taste buds you are a Super Taster because your taste and smell is more acute. If you have less than average, you are a Non Taster. Super Tasters don't like spicy or strong foods. Non Tasters do. I am a Super Taster. Jon is a Non. I think Collin is a Super and the jury is out on Grace.
So back to Ethiopian . . . One good thing is that they did have a great green salad and vegetarian food with things like split peas and lentils which I, and my kids love. So, I gave the ok and we headed out to Blue Nile. A total hole in the wall in a very Vietnamese part of town. Jon ordered a big meat combination plate and I got a vegetarian one. The kids liked parts of it, but not the Injera so much. I was glad they ate as much as they did though.
I jokingly said that we should have a Blue evening by going to Gelato Blu after leaving the Blue Nile which the kids thought was a great idea. As a side note, the last time we were in there Collin got half Olive Oil and half Gianduja and the guy behind the counter was so surprised that a kid would be getting those flavors and told Collin he had "a very sophisticated palate".
On another side note, I overheard a lady saying to her son that "they" have found a correlation between eating different kinds of foods and intelligence. Meaning that the more kinds of foods you try the more intelligent you will be and the more intelligent you are, the more foods you'll try. I don't know if she was just saying that to get him to eat something other than a Happy Meal, but I like to think it's true and that we are making our kids smarter through food. If it's not, please don't burst our bubble!
1 comment:
Oh how I miss eating Ethiopian food with Jon! Whenever he came to L.A., that's what we did. I like it, but it definitely doesn't sit well! I wish I were there to eat Olive Oil gelato with you!
Post a Comment