. . . and other FHE fun.

So, I bought this book and another one about the Bible when Collin was just a tyke and we have gotten a lot of mileage out of them. Let me start at the beginning though. . . . I had used the old standard FHE lesson manual and planned a lesson, songs, treats etc. for Monday night. When Jon got home I said we were ready for FHE and he gave me the look and said, "are you serious?" After a small discussion he let me know that any sort of formal FHE had to go out the window, so I started looking around for something else. That's when I found these gems. Jon, I mean Collin loved them. They are treats that are named after what the lesson is about. So as you're making the treat you tell the lesson in the manual. The first one we did was Nephi's Graham Temples.
Jon had his dremel tool out an spent a good hour on his graham temple. Collin looks a little dazed and confused, but I'm sure he loved it too.
So, fast forward 10 years when the kids are old enough to help out with the lessons. I showed these books to the kids and Collin took one look at the Fantastic Flaming Altar Ring and knew it was the one for him. I don't think he read the lesson or even chose it by what the treat was. It was all in the word FLAMING that won him over. The recipe is just Monkey Bread and then you put lemon soaked sugar cubes around it and light it. The lesson was about Elijah taking on the Priests of Baal in an altar lighting showdown. Notice the Pyro gleam in C's eyes. . .
So, I didn't read the fine print that said to put the "altar" on a LARGE platter so the flames started burning the altar itself, but I'll bet your boots those kids will never forget the story!
2 comments:
I have those books, I think you told me about htem. I havn't used them in ages! I'l have to dust them off
Very impressive, Yeen.
Post a Comment