Sunday, May 10, 2009

El Guadalupe

We tried our luck camping again this weekend. We headed north and west to Guadalupe River State Park. Even though Jon had gotten off work early, we were still rushed and didn't take into account San Antonio rush hour traffic. We decided to forego the traditional Tin Foil Dinner for a fast food hamburger or else we'd be eating at 9 pm! We got to the park and after digging the tent out from ALL the other gear and boxes and coolers, the boys started setting it up when I realized I had left the chocolate for the s'mores on the cupboard at home, waiting to be put in the cooler to keep cold. Thank goodness there was a Valero's not far away, so Grace and I jumped in the car to go get chocolate. After a lot of wrong turns we got on the right road and captured this picture . . . 


We made it back and had our s'mores and hit the hay . . . except that it was about 80 degrees and no wind and Jon was snoring and . . . at about 3:23 am, I realized that I HAD packed the chocolate!! (Don't ask me why I didn't check before assuming, ok?!). When we finally got up (NOT woke up, except for Jon, who slept the whole night!), I was ready to get all packed up and head back home. The sacrifices we make for our kids. We headed out to the river after Collin and Grace did a lot of exploring in the Scrub Oak and Jon and I read by the fire. 

A pack of water guns supplied numerous amounts of fun . . . 


Jon spent about 52 min. blowing up the boat . . . 


And let the kids loose . . . 





As if we weren't having enough fun, the boys found a tree to jump out of . . . 

We are going back SO soon! Anyone want to join us? I PROMISE I'll remember the chocolate next time. Oh, wait, I did remember it so we had double the chocolate, which I'll bring. We are also looking to invest in some Pie Irons and try to turn out some goodness with them. 

2 comments:

SweetmamaK said...

Robert loves the Guadlupe, but I hate the COLD river- I prefer the warm lakes and warm rivers that are not spring fed. It's beautiful though. Robert and I keep talking about getting a pop up trailer... I really like going to Huntsville SP and lIvingstone SP- however I havn't been to Livingstone since the hurricanes (katrina, rita and Ike) so I don't know how it fared.

Sarah said...

That looks so fun! I have been antsy for you to post again. Thanks!