As to what we did this weekend! Camping, of course!! The Houston summer is almost here, so we are trying to get in a few last trips before it starts steaming any more that it already is. We went to the closest state park to us on this trip. Huntsville. We went there when Collin was a toddler and have always wanted to go back. It was just as pretty as we remembered.
You know when you read those southern books like Eudora Welty about the nights "coming alive" with sounds? THIS was one of those nights. It was a serious "symphony of nature". Birds calling, insects buzzing, bullfrogs croaking, baby 'gators chirping, leaves rustling in the wind. . It was so pretty and . . . Southern, laying in a tent with all of that going on . . . and then the native redneck souped-up pick-up thundering in at 3am right next to us (of course!) and it's occupants "hackin' n' yackin'", "smokin' n' jokin'" and strumming on a "gitar" till the crack of dawn.
We woke up and headed on a walk to get the lay of the land. . .
And inspect the local insect species.
Then we got down to the "bidness" of fishin'. It was so funny to hear these people (the nicest people you'd ever meet, by the way!) talking in the accent and saying things that we joke about Texans saying! Notice the alligator warning on the dock . . .

The little fisherwoman with her little pole and her little catch. She kept giggling like I have never heard before.


Collin said about 50 times that what he was MOST looking forward to on this trip was the fishin'. He was up at the crack of dawn asking when we were going. The poor guy was watching everyone else pulling them in and he wasn't. This lady who "done caught 30 already", her husband told us, even took him to her "honey hole" as she called it and put a new leader?, bobber? something to help him and the fish stopped biting. Finally after 2 hours, he got one and it was a big 'un and well worth it. After that, he reeled in one after the other.


We brought them home, about 16, we had a fish fry and each got about 3 bites each. And no, I didn't fish. I loved fishing until I grew up had to bait the hook and take it off the line and felt like a murderer. But just to prove that I used to:

3 comments:
Fun! Any snakes this time? I'm glad you're taking advantage of the nice weather. I hope it's not horrible when we get there--I don't want Brett to die!
How fun! Holy truck! I didn't know your kids liked fishing! I am sure Steve would take them when you come to Utah (his nieces and nephews call him Uncle Fishy-Fish because he takes them fishing). And that picture of you is so cute. Fun post!
Oh my gosh Jenny! I laughed out loud at the "hackin' and yackin'." I also love the picture of you with the fish. That is how I think of you still. Miss you!
Post a Comment