I guess one of the good things about having a hurricane (ok, I know Edouard got downgraded to a Tropical Storm, but hurricane sounds better) barreling down on you is that you get to play hookey from your routine. Jon didn't have to go in to work and as we were getting for swimming lessons at the YMCA, they got cancelled too. So, I have exercised and now Jon is in the office dejunking (we never did get fully unpacked in there), the kids are playing games on the new and old iphones (both Jons, but with good reasons). Later, since a cool spell has come - only the low 80's today! - I feel a soup cooking coming on, but for now, I will post a blog - yes, another one about our favorite past time - food, but with some stories thrown in.
Collin's best friend, Brendan had a welcome home party on Saturday so we asked Grace what she wanted to do. I loved her response - "go to CPK and eat noodles (?) and then drive over to Gelato Blu for dessert". My kind of outing! We did as requested and ate at CPK (did you know they have great salads?) and then headed to Gelato Blu. We found this place because it's on the way to Jons work and is fabulous. We've been going almost every weekend lately. The only drawback is we somehow always seem to miss the days they make our absolute, all-time favorite - gianduja (chocolate hazelnut). They have a lot of flavors we have never heard of and great sorbeto too. They had one - can't remember the name made with blue cheese, figs and something else. They have a great vanilla with a tart cherry swirl going through - another name I can't remember. . . and again, they didn't have gianduja BUT, they did have . . . OLIVE OIL!! Which brings me to one of my other favorites - reminiscing.
Last year all my sisters met in NYC for a weekend and we had such a good time - despite the extremely cold weather. We ate some great food - the Magnolia Bakery (I ate all 4 of my cupcakes and then finished off my sisters!). We also ate at one of Mario Batali's restaurant Otto. The highlight of the meal was the olive oil gelato. I have been talking about it ever since because of how surprised I was at it's fruity taste. So it was fun to see it at Gelato Blu and I was even more glad that Jon liked it as much as I did.
So, this is Grace trying to decide which flavors to get . . .


1 comment:
I'll have to try the olive oil gelato!
Post a Comment