Friday, April 17, 2009

Gators and 'dillos and snakes . . . Oh My!!

You know when you pull in to the state park campground and see a sign like this, you are in the south and it's going to be an adventure!! We were setting up our tents when our friends little boy said, "Mama! Snake!" Sure enough, we look in the tree (a magnolia, of course!) and there is a snake shimmying up. Our friend Tom, then proceeds to tell us that there are a lot of snakes in the area. Information that should have been divulged BEFORE the trip! (I was telling a lady from our CoOp we saw some snakes and she said they were really bad this year. Yay!) After getting set up we went on a "hike" and saw an armadillo scamper across the trail. Although we never saw a gator, we heard a baby calling for it's mother. Yes, we impressed our friends with our knowledge of baby gator sounds. 


A lot of the trees had been blown down by Ike so there were stumps all over for the boys to climb on . . . 


The next day (Grace's birthday) we got up early and after eating a breakfast of champions, I mean campers, made by my honey, we set out to canoe on the lake. 



It was SO pretty but my camera had died (does anybody see a theme here?) so I only had my phone and didn't get many or even great pictures. I had to row plus, I was comforting and consoling Grace during 75-80% of the ride. Every time there was any movement no matter how small in the canoe she would cry. She also kept asking if everything was an alligator. When we got out though she said "That was SO fun!"



The highlight of camping for me is always the S'mores. I absolutely love them. The highlight for the kids was the hammock that I teased Jon about bringing because he has been known to bring so much stuff that never gets used. I was eating my words on this trip. At least one person was in it the entire time. This one is Grace talking to Emily and Garrett while eating.



Collin practically lived in it. He took his meals there, read there . . . .



Got harrassed there . . . 



We can't wait to go again before the Houston summer sets in.

4 comments:

SweetmamaK said...

Was this Brazos Bend? It looks fun, alligators not withstanding. Once we went camping somewhere near Gonzales or something at a place called Lake Texaanna, it was in July and we couldn't swim due to alligators. The cool water mocked us. I prefer alligator free areas for camping.

Highlights said...

Jenny I'm SO scared of snakes! That's all I have to say! I'm glad you had fun!

Highlights said...

Okay I have more to say about the snakes. What did you sleep in?! I think I see a pop up trailor in one of the pictures, but if it would have been a regular tent on the ground I think i would have slept in the car. I really liked the canoe story too.

La La Land said...

Looks like fun, but I shouldn't have looked at this right before bed. I am going to have snake nightmares!! YUCK!