(No, I didn't take this picture!)
I absolutely, dearly love chocolate mousse. You can do so much with it and add different flavorings and accompaniments to it. I have tried many recipes and this is the best, and so easy.
3/4 c Semi sweet chocolate chips
2 Lg. eggs, separated
2 Tbsp. water
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1 c. whipping cream
2 Tbsp. powdered sugar (or reg. sugar)
1 tsp. vanilla
Melt chips in a double boiler (or glass bowl over bowling water). Stir yolks and water in small bowl and set aside. When chocolate is melted, stir in yolk mixture. Continue to cook for one min. Set aside. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff and stir into warm choc. mixture. Let cool. Beat cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff (this is important!). Fold into choc. mixture. Refrigerate for 2 hour or overnight.
Our favorite way to eat this is to layer it with fresh berries OR Lingonberry preserves (the lingonberry jam is also really good with white chocolate mousse - just use white instead of semi sweet choc.). We also like to use peppermint extract instead of vanilla (only use 1/2 tsp.) around Christmas. One of our favorite desserts is Chocolate Divine (Collin asks for it every birthday) that we first had at the Pizza Factory (anyone remember when they had that on their menu?). For that, double the mousse recipe, break up angel food cake into bite size pieces in a spring form pan, half the mousse, another layer of cake, the rest of the mousse and chill. Serve with caramel sauce and toasted sliced almonds.

3 comments:
YUM! This always reminds me of you! Great picture, too. Did you take it?
YUM!!!! Can't wait to try it. Thanks for being such a good blogger to keep us up on all the fun things you are doing!
I'm going to make it--I can't wait! Do you like to use any particular brand of chocolate?
Post a Comment