Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Rainy Days

Jane Eyre (Masterpiece Theatre, 2006)Wives and Daughters

Jon has had bronchitis for days now and has been working from home so it seems almost like we've been on Christmas vacation for a month. With this break in the normal routine, we've ended up watching a lot of movies this last month. We watched Jane Eyre on PBS a couple of weeks ago and loved it so of course Jon ended up purchasing it the next day. Years ago we saw Wives and Daughters on PBS and really liked it. I bought the book last year and Jon read it after me. That is a great one too so we bought that DVD also. The kids loved Jane Eyre. Collin said it was one of the best movies he's ever seen and Grace agreed. I think Wives and Daughters was too long for them though and they didn't even see it all. Collin said "there was too much talking and crying and dying". We also have the old stand-bys that we watch yearly:

Pride and Prejudice - The Special Edition (A&E, 1996)Flambards Collection Set
Flambards is 11 or 12 hours long so it's got Pride and Prejudice beat for time. It also takes a while for the story to develop so it's not the most fast-paced movie you'll see, but it's one of our favorites. I watched in all in one day when I was 16 and had surgery on my foot. 


   

On another topic, as I was taking down our Christmas Decorations last week (the kids kept begging me not to take them down - I love it!) all our snowflake decals were more pronounced. Jon had them made for me - one of the great perks about having your husband have his own wall decal business! I wish we could keep them up, but have been trying to decide which of his other designs I want to put up. Scribble has been featured in a few major newspapers and internet articles lately which has really helped business. This was in the Chicago Tribune:
STICK IT: What an ingenious way to create a dramatic, personal statement in your home without investing too much commitment or elbow grease. Scribble Wall Art Decals were created about a year-and-a-half ago by two designers in Utah who liked art and wanted out of the corporate world. Their business solution, small, stylish vinyl wall decals, have not only successfully freed them from the rat race, but also have begun to take the design -- and dorm-room -- world by storm.
Like the well-known wall-decal brand Blik, this product can be stuck to a wall and peeled off without damage to paint or drywall. Scribble Art, however, offers a slightly hipper or edgier range of designs, with more room for customization.
"We basically gravitate toward any design that we like personally," says co-owner Jon Bybee. Their Wall Tags series, for instance, is basically urban graffiti without the guilt. Their Wall Flower series, on the other hand, would be perfectly at home in the foyer of a stylish grandma's house. "We wanted to have something for the mom out there who wanted an easy way to decorate their kid's room, but also for the interior designers who are looking to create a dramatic scene or border in a client's house," Bybee says.
As of late, the company has taken to tapping talented young designers to turn out new designs. Buy a single piece, or buy several and assemble a design. Most items are available in a range of colors and sizes. Don't see the color you want? Send them a swatch, and they'll try their best to match it for you. A custom option is even available for designs of your own hand.
Cost: $20 to $45, with a few large pieces fetching up to $95. Order online at scribbleonwalls.com.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I have never heard of the Wives and Daughters or the Flambards- that will need to be corrected! I didn't know that Jon had a decals. That is so great- I'd love to see some of the stuff he sales. What great publicity! Have you guys heard of the site called Threadless? It's a site where you complete with others to sale or display a design to be put on t-shirts. It seems like something up Jon's alley anyhow it's a neat site.

Yennigirl said...

I left the link to his site - Scribble on Walls.com on in the text. You'll have to go to it. Yon says, that Yes, of course he's heard of them. Hoytie Toytie

Michelle said...

Jon really knows how to rub it in! I should have known who I was talkin to!