I am probably going to regret showing this, but I just had to share. Yesterday my sister asked me if I had taken all the pictures of food I put on here - SHA! And now, she and all who see this will know why that is.
But to begin the story of the cake; which, by the way, I have to say is one of the tastiest we've made. Jon had told me at 9:30 Monday night that he had invited the missionaries for dinner for Tuesday. I asked why on earth he had done that (there go all my blessings for feeding them)! He said that they wanted to give us a lesson, but that he had told them that we had had it a couple months ago so if they wouldn't give us the "do you have any names for us to visit" talk, then we would feed them.
I was excited to try this cake because I had found an icing/glaze recipe that has butter, fruit (strawberries, pineapple etc.) and powdered sugar in it that is SO tasty. At the store that day, they only had raspberries, and since we all love raspberries and chocolate, I thought it would be perfect.
I made the my usual chocolate cake (on the back of Hershey's Cocoa - our favorite), and put it in a bundt pan to make it fancy. I decided to use my new, huge toaster oven/convection oven to bake it. Have you heard convection ovens toted as "cooking food more evenly"? LIES! I guess if you turn your food every 10 minutes while baking this would be true, but who wants to babysit a cake baking? When the timer went off, I went in the kitchen and smelled the unmistakable smell of burned cake. I took the cake out and tested it with a toothpick. The top was all charred, but there was one part about 4 inches wide that was still doughy. I turned the cake and put the doughy part back in the hot corner to finish cooking. After it was finally done, I had to chisel out the burned parts (since bundt pans have taller sides, the cake was below the top so I couldn't just slice it off cleanly). Burned parts gone, I turned it upside down on a plate and about 1/3 of the cake stayed in the bundt pan! Argh! I managed to somehow get almost the whole part out in one piece, but the cake still didn't look right. At that point I didn't care! I left it to cool and went on with the rest of the meal.
Later, I made the glaze, which looked quite a vibrant pink, but still looked good (and tasted even better), until I started putting it on the cake, at which point it started separating. Too late to do anything but try to make the rest of the meal make up for the look of the cake. When we served the cake to the missionaries, Grace said, "Mom said this looks like someone threw up Pepto Bismol on it". The missionaries each ate two pieces. The end.
No comments:
Post a Comment