Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Halloween


We had a new and unusual Halloween this year. I have been a little "disenchanted" with our Halloweens here. The last 2 years we've gone trick-or-treating, we have had neighborhood crazies attach themselves to our little party for the whole night and I just did not want to deal with that this year. I made a bold plea that we stay home, have our own little Halloween party and watch a movie etc. The kids thought it was a great idea. Jon asked if they realized that meant no trick-or-treating and I said I'm sure they did. I got "the eye" from him so I asked the kids if they realized what I meant and they said yes. I almost wanted to feel their foreheads to make sure they were ok. We started with carving Jack-o-Lanterns. Yes, most people do that at the beginning of October, but things start to rot after about a day outside here, so we did it that night. We had our usual meal of Mummy Dogs and Ghost Potatoes . . .

(Table by Grace. These were the "savory" part of the meal)

Jon got out the dremel tools and the fun began. . .


The kids and I were done in about 1/2 an hour but Jon took about 2. The final result:

The rest of night didn't include many pictures. Who wants to see us sitting and watching King Kong (the 70's version - wouldn't recommend it) and munching. Collin wanted to hand out the candy and dressed in an "80's" outfit. The door rang 5 times. FIVE people!! See my disenchantment? Anyway, we had a fun night and the kids keep saying how fun it was (?) so I guess it was a success. We've been enjoying our pumpkins in Pumpkin Choc. Chip bread too. YUM! I love fall food.

2 comments:

Emily said...

sounds like you guys had so much fun! I'm jealous! I love how you guys always go all out when it comes to decorating/traditions (i.e. the work of art pumpkins! xo

A Few Tacos Shy... said...

Honestly, this is a great idea! I always feel like Halloween is disappointing anyway and you guys spent it having a good time as a family :-)