I guess the trauma I went through when we had Zebra Finches wasn't enough to deter Jon from reliving his childhood of running around the deserts of Las Vegas catching lizards shirtless and barefoot. Of scraping road kill off the highways to make Coon skin (if they were lucky) hats. Of raising Rex rabbits and then killing them for food. . . Jon says "the kids need to learn responsibility and the facts of life" etc. but I KNOW he wanted any excuse to get pets. We spent the 4th of July weekend canvassing every Feed Store in and around Houston looking for some Rex rabbits and ended up at the nastiest, smelliest, hickish one out there. I was too busy trying to not step in anything, breathing as little as possible and trying to get us the heck outta dodge to take a picture of the place. I wish I would have though.
Anyway, the point is, the kids picked out the ones they wanted (with some "help" from Jon). The black-spotted one is Collins, named Snickers. The grey-spotted one is Graces, named Hearty - oh wait, that was last week. This week it's name is Puddin'. We'll see what it is next week. Jon explained to them that they (I am having no part of this whole thing) are going to raise the babies for food. We'll see how Grace takes that when the babies are born.
Jon also explained to the kids about the rabbits mating to make babies and this morning Collin announced that Snickers was on top of Hearty "vibrating" so I think rabbit stew is on the way . . .
5 comments:
I am laughing so hard right now that I am crying. I knew trouble was coming when I called you guys from New York and Jon told me about the bunnies. I was so excited! And then he said, "plus, we're gonna eat 'em." Good luck Jenny!!!!!!!!!!!
There is simply no way I could do that LOL!!! We had rabbits when I was a kid and my dad would knock them on the head and then slit their throats! He couldn't handle it after the first batch either because they CRY. Keep in mind that I am a meat eater--I just cannot handle that. Man-o-man I am going to wish you good luck as well. :)
Man y'all are wimps. My Dad did the same thing, and look how I turned out (said with a slight twitch of the head) and I am perfectly normal.
Is Jon serious?? I thought of him more as a pacifist! I am a carnivore, but I don't think I could eat anything that I named- Let me know when you have bunnies!
Post a Comment