Sunday, July 27, 2008

Adventures in the Boondocks

 Yesterday we headed Southwest of Houston to a town called Blessings. We had been there before when we lived here and Collin was little, and on the spur of the moment decided to visit it again. Blessings was originally Thank God, Texas but the postmaster didn't think it would be appropriate, so the name was changed to Blessings. There is an old Hotel there that serves "home cooked" meals. You fill your plate up with fried meats, vegetables with meat cooked with them (think green beans and ham), home made rolls etc. and as the cashier told us, "if you go away hungry, it's your own fault". It's served buffet style on old ovens and was really tasty (from what I ate anyway, you'll have to ask Jon about the meats). You eat as much as you want and it's $6 a plate. Their cherry/pineapple cobbler was buttery, not too sweet and so yummy. 

We found out they actually still rent out rooms upstairs. We had a look around, but it was creepy in a Psycho sort of way, so we hit the road. On the way down we had seen "historic" Danevang. It was settled by Danes and since I have a lot of Danish blood in me we had to stop. Plus, the museum was too cute to pass up. They had a collection of the Bing & Grondahl Christmas Plates I collect that covers an entire wall. It was really interesting.

We read in our Day-trips out of Houston book that a little place called Wharton had a nice river with canoes etc. so we decided to head there next. While we were driving around, we found Collins St. so we had to get a picture. 
Wharton had a town square that looked almost exactly like the one from Back to the Future. We walked around, but it was either tacky Antique stores or Law offices but we did find a coffee shop that had some ice cream (Blue Bell of course) so we stopped before we melted away. 


Little did we know that one of the best things we have found so far was just a few miles away. We rounded the corner of the road after leaving Wharton and looked up to see  . . . Tee Pee Motel!!  We all immediately said, "It's Radiator Springs!!" (from the movie Cars, in case you're wondering). We really wanted to stay there but it was booked and I had to speak in church the next day, but we are definitely going back there some time. The kids talked about it the whole rest of the way home. 

2 comments:

SweetmamaK said...

Ok I've been to wharton (well passed through) on my way to Bay City, I'm going to have to go to stay in the Tee pees! How fun. Blessings sounds like a blast too! You are such the good little day trippers! How was your talk in church? Adrienne comes in town on the 9th and we are going to visit the true and inspired ward on the 10th- maybe you can skip your ward and come for a reunion!

Highlights said...

I still remember the "blessing" story from the first time you guys went--I'd love to try that buttery cobbler! I hope we can get together when I'm in town...maybe at Pho Huy! I love all the eating options in Houston!