Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sunshine Boats . . .

Bangers and Mash . . . kind of upside down Sunshine Boats
I grew up in the hick town of Springville. I don't know if Sunshine Boats were a Springville thing but no one else I ever tell about these (not that I tell a lot of people) has ever heard about them. Maybe the lunch ladies got the recipe from one of their ancestors or something. I like to think that. I'm sure they really just made it up after having leftovers and wondering what to do with them. But let me live in my own little world. At the beginning of every month when the new school lunch menu came out I would look for Sunshine Boats and count down the days. We took our sack lunches every day, but once in a while we got to eat school lunch (for 35 cents!) and I lobbied hard on Sunshine Boat day.

So, what are Sunshine Boats?? Think Bangers and Mash with cheese. Or think a split hot dog (Art City Elementary used these long, skinny, spicy, red hot dogs) with 2 ice cream scoops of mashed potatoes, sprinkled with cheddar cheese and broiled till browned. Mmmmmmmm. Every few years when I have some leftover mashed potatoes I need some and today was one of those days. If you feel like making some, here's what you need:

Hot Dogs (Oscar Meyer is the best)
Leftover (or new) Mashed Potatoes,warm
Sharp Cheddar Cheese

I like to brown the hot dogs on the outside, split them and brown the inside. Put 2 nice sized scoops of potatoes on top and sprinkle with cheese. Broil until cheese is browned.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I will be laughing for days over the "lunch ladies' ancestors"!

SweetmamaK said...

We called them "snow capped mountains" The recipe was found in a friend magazine, My mom still makes them. I LOVED Them. My kids don't like cheese or mashed potatos, so I don't make them, but they are awesome. If you search in the friend for this I bet you would find it. Thanks for the memory!