Thursday, July 23, 2009

Field Trip Day

We had such a great day yesterday at the Houston Museum of Natural Science with our homeschool group. We were able to go see the Terra Cotta Warriors from China and it was amazing!


I couldn't take pictures and I got dragged through there at high speed by a 10 year old boy who wanted to see the swords and the mural of them chopping heads off, so I didn't get a lot of the history and interesting facts, but you can go here to read about them. The things we thought were so interesting is that: 1. they know where the Emperor is buried and that there are thousands more pits underground (they have only dug up a handful of the pits that are around the tomb) and yet they have been left alone for over 2 thousand years! 2. every single warrior is different - their faces are all unique. And 3. Each warrior takes over a year to put back together. It was fascinating. The thing the kids liked most though (other than the swords and gore) was the "real warrior" as Grace calls him or "the scaring man" as Collin calls him. This guy is part of the exhibit and travels with it. Talk about a fun job - he stands on his platform like a statue and waits for curious patrons to take a closer look and then frightens them by moving. The kids could have watched it all day. 

He walks around after and walks like he is made of clay. Amazing. Xie xie for the good time Mr. Warrior!

1 comment:

La La Land said...

Cool! I remember learning about this in school. I love how Grace is holding his hand.