Thursday, February 5, 2009

Good Eats Oahu

Anyone who knows us knows that our trips are judged by the food as much as the adventures! After landing and getting our rental car we made a beeline for an Oahu must have - malasadas. They are kind of like a squishy doughnut without the hole, covered in sugar. As if they needed anymore reason to be eaten, they fill them with custard fillings: vanilla, chocolate, haupia (coconut) and this months flavor, pineapple. One of my favorite fruits. Sunshine-for-your-mouth pineapple. They were delish!! Jon was suppose to get 4 total and came out with 14. But if you're going to gain 20 pounds on vacation, this is a tasty way to do it!



In the last post I talked about Haleiwa Joes, which is one of our favorite places to eat. I had the best fish I have ever had there this time! And if the food isn't incentive enough, they have a gorgeous garden with a koi pond to look at while you eat. 


A few years ago, while on a Waikiki beach, we got thirsty and found this little smoothie booth that had pineapple smoothies and got hooked. It's more like a slush made with bizzed up pineapple than a typical smoothie. One of the many reasons I love my hubby is that he saves up about $50 for my pineapple smoothie fund and as soon as we get to that beach (we like to stick with tradition), he puts down the bag (before even unpacking the towels etc.) and says, "do you need a large or a medium?" and heads off. Every couple of hours he says, "You ready for another one?" That, my friends is true love.  The kids have now christened this beach "pineapple smoothie beach". (Like my beach hair?)


We took the kids to Ono's this time so they could experience traditional Hawaiian food. Our motto is When in Rome . . . They loved everything but the chicken lau lau (taro leaf wrapped chicken) because there was too much "spinach stuff" for their taste. 

One other place that we like to frequent is Kua 'Aina in Haleiwa. They have burgers etc. but they also have great salads. Unfortunately the kids were full of shave ice when we went so they didn't eat much. 



One of our "finds" this time was Genki sushi. Jon had been saying he wanted to go to a sushi place that had a conveyer belt. We happened to see a place that looked like a fast food joint complete with a drive through window but Jon was really wanting some sushi. He went in to check it out and came running back with little boy eagerness all over his face, "they have a conveyer belt!!". It ended up being really tasty! We all ate to fullness and it only cost $53! 


Another must for us is a Ted's Bakery pie. Collin chose the Chocolate macadamia nut pie and it was a winner! 

3 comments:

Highlights said...

How much weight did you really gain Yen? Like 2 ounces! I want one of those doughnut things right now and I gained five pounds just thinking about it. I'm so jealous and realized as I was reading these Hawaii blogs that I need to go there with YOU. So I'll start saving up. I'm so glad that you had a good time.

La La Land said...

I love those Malasadas (I think you are the one who told me to go there)! Your post makes me want to go back to Hawaii SOOOO bad!

And could Yon be cuter with the pineapple smoothie fund!?

SweetmamaK said...

I'll be saving this post for when my "someday" turns into a real vacay! I love your travel stories, you should write books!